WELCOME!

New Directions Alternative H.S. Program is a cooperative program in Cedar County, Iowa. Kirkwood Community College sponsors the program and partners with area school districts including Tipton, North Cedar, West Branch and others. We aim to help students who struggle in a traditional high school setting become more successful by offering a variety of instructional strategies for a variety of learning styles.

Thursday, January 27, 2011

4: What's Next?

In short:


WHAT DO I DO TODAY????
1. Mess with your blog if you're not happy with how it looks
2. Do grammar exercises (links below)
3. Write a blog post (topic below) IT MUST INCLUDE LINKS!!! (video about how to add links below)


In more detail:




1. If you are not happy with your blog layout, you can keep working on it. Make sure you have one post published, even if it is just a short post, by the end of class today. Once it is posted, email the link to your blog (________@blogspot.com) so that I can share it with your classmates.

2. If you are done with your layout, do the exercises/games listed below.

WAY COOL GRAMMAR AND PUNCTUATION EXERCISES!

What's a sentence fragment? Watch a video made by a high school English class student to find out.

 
Or, learn how to fix your comma splices!


If that didn't make much sense to you, then here's some help. Click to read about 
RULES For Fixing Comma Splices and Fused Sentences

After you figure out what a comma splice and a "fused" or "run on" sentence is, then do this practice exercise:  Exercise 1: Recognizing Comma Splices and Fused Sentences

Done with those exercises?
Then write a blog post on this topic (a variation on one from this book): 

If you were in an airplane crash over Alaska, and could survive with the help of only one book, what would that book be? What other books teach survival in the wilderness?

Your blog must include LINKS to the books you are talking about. Need help with that? Watch this video



6 comments:

  1. I think that if I crashed in Alaska, I would probably die, with the book or not. lmao. nature and I do not get along, and I hate snow lmao.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going with Sam on this one for sure. I would bring a book to start a fire and then I'd burn myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My luck I would die in the crash!

    ReplyDelete